SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I will be interested to hear some other stories.
Me too... I know that the last two insurance surveys were a bit of a joke, as mentioned I mostly dictated it and payed well for that privilige. A pretty easy bit of coin - worked out to about $600/hr and I did the bulk of the 'work'.

Fact is, for most experienced owners they'll know their boat better than any drop-by surveyor will.. it does stick in my craw a bit that the insurance companies insist on these surveys, esp knowing the boat is better than when we bought it, and, perhaps to 'justify' the fee the surveyor has to 'find' something. It can also be frustrating dealing with insurance people that clearly don't understand boats and boating.

Not knocking surveyors in general, of course there are good and bad as in any field, but based on these last two insurance surveys those two were not surveyors I'd seek out for a pre purchase look-see.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook