SailNet Community - View Single Post - Things that happen in cruising
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Things that happen in cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Jon, I imagine that you could get to St Helena but there is nothing there that would help you get things fixed and if I remember correctly the island does not even have an airport so you would have to wait in a marginal anchorage for parts to come by ship. From there you would have to go with your jury-rig to northern Brazil or even Trinidad. You can get parts sent to Luderitz but we have idea of the nature of the damage. There may be more to it than jus bolting on something new.
Just to clarify, I was referring to dealing with the possibility of suffering a gooseneck/boom failure on MY boat, not your friend's... Perhaps you might be underestimating how 'basic' such a fix might be, on a boat as modest as mine... (grin)

Certainly, there would be someone capable of welding on St Helena, or some basic machine shop that could help me cobble some sort of fix together...

And, it would likely be a bit tidier, than CARLOS' WELDING in Fronteras, Guatemala, who once worked a minor miracle for me here... Seriously, I wish I could find someone as clever, skilled, and reasonably priced as Carlos, within 25 miles of my home here in NJ...

Plus, I carry a Band-It tool aboard... Every 'real' cruising boat (grin) going places beyond the reach of Sea-Tow and UPS should carry one, with one of these one can McGyver just about anything related to spars, etc...

BAND-IT® Tool

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook