SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
A passing thought on all of this:

Could it be that we have so many ocean bars over here that I am taking for granted that sailors and marine rescue crossing them know what to do and what not to do? You have so many fine anchorages and sailing grounds in Western Europe: Is it possible that the crew of the Meri Tuuli did not understand the dangers of 'closed harbours' and 'bar entrances'??
You mean like this Aussie knows?

Seriously I don't know, we surely understand that. I can only remember one accident with a Portuguese sailboat and many with foreigner boats. Our west coast) is an open one without few natural shelters and some dangerous bars but also with good ports that remain open with bad weather. I guess you are right, sailors that come from other coats with more shelters (The North of Spain is a lot better and the Med has not any comparison) are used to sail for the day, or even not for a full day and stop for the night. That is not always possible here, at least with not settled weather.

What makes me wonder is that on the last two deadly accidents the skippers were described as very experienced. It seems that experience does not always provide a reasonable dose of caution.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook