SailNet Community - View Single Post - Things that happen in cruising
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-18-2013 Thread Starter
killarney_sailor
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Things that happen in cruising

I suspect that the lines he mentions breaking (remember he was writing to people who are not sailors mainly) were preventers of some sort. You don't mess with a main this large. BTW got another email to say they were in Luderitz harbor, tired and cold - remember it is well into the fall there. I imagine after a good sleep they will figure out what next. They are 475 miles from Cape Town which is not that far but the weather there is not nice this time of year. I was thinking about it and I wonder why they could not get the work done there. I think there are fishing boats and offshore mining support vessels so they must have machine shops and the like. The boat bits have to imported to South Africa in any case. I will email tomorrow to see what is happening.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome