SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Here's an idea:

Fix the problems and quit whining. You surveyor found some problems, including indications of rot ("soft wood" = rot), because THAT WHAT S/HE WAS HIRED TO DO. Now you're whining that "soft wood" isn't part if the ABYC standards. Whether it is or not (and somehow I think that rot in the bowsprit would put your boat out of compliance with just about ANY standards) it needs to be fixed; ditto for rot in a bulkhead.
Ummm.... yeah. I'll take offense to that.

Here's the point of my whining. His language can be read to say that I can't even go to the fuel dock before fixing these two issues, or not, depending on how you read it.

It's ridiculous IMO to ground the boat because of these findings (the spot in the sprit is not a load bearing location and the bulkhead isn't a structural one) and they are going to take me some time and money to fix, both of which I will have more of at the end of the summer.

I intend to call him and ask for clarification. If he truly thinks that my boat is too dangerous to sail to the fuel dock then I'll quit my "whining" and fix it here and now. I don't think that's really the case though and if I can have a little more leeway to fix it then I will take it.

There are other findings that I didn't post such as peeling paint. His survey can also be read as my needing to repaint my hull before sailing 100 yards. Ridiculous but the words he used can be read that way. I'd be willing to bet that if your insurance company told you your policy was void until you painted your boat you'd be whining too.

MedSailor

PS No surveyor hate here. I'll save that for if things go south after my phone call. I really appreciate the 2 surveyors who have been willing to post to this thread. Your input has been very useful and is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-18-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook