SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tomatoes are god's way of reminding you to sharpen your knife.

I've only needed a serrated bread knife once, when I accidentally baked one loaf of bread with an armored crust.

chef, using a scale (and why does it measure "pounds decimal" without being able to show ounces?) doesn't ensure honesty. We've got a law that all weights have to be tared--but the shops never tare the purchase, and the enforcement department only questions that when someone wants a payoff at an inspection. Yes, that happens regularly.

For me, if I order a pint of whatever-salad, that means I want one pint container, full up, and I could care less what it weighs. I just want it full. If the counterman doesn't fill it, or fills it with olives and juice instead of just the olives, I can see it and let him know. I don't care if he charges by weight, as long as I can order by volume. The new generation behind the counter? Hell, they don't even know which is the pint container, even though it says "16 ounces - one pint" on the bottom.

That was also part of the art of personal service: If you went in to a shop regularly and they counterman had any brains, any time you ordered a pound of something, he'd let it go slightly OVER on the scale, your bonus for being recognized as a customer. You both knew you were looking at the scale.

So there are pros and cons to the new system, and the pensioners who order just a quarter pound of something and then get charged for the plastic or paper when it isn't tared? Yeah, they're getting shortchanged even with the fancy new scale. Some things don't change.

BPA: OK, maybe I should re-examine wooden boats. (VBG) But when it comes to what I eat, I have some easy choices and once of them is to just avoid the chemicals whenever I can. If I used a one-liter pop bottle instead of a cooling gizmo, voila, no BPAs. But if I want to cool a turkey quickly? Nah, I'm just going to throw it in the freezer. One-trick ponies aren't for me, the stable isn't big enough.
A good bread knife can insure identical slices and aid in speed of cutting of bread which helps in consistency with items like bruschetta and tasks with precision. Choice of tools in the kitchen ( knives) are important top accomplishing tasks ( boning- 2 types meat and fish), carving, slicing, dicing, butchering) as the correct tool when taking a nut off a bolt. Ratchet, pliers, open end wrench, vice grips, torque wrench.

The trick to cooling is cut into small pieces or divide into multiple pans.

To cool the turkey correctly....break it down into breasts thighs..etc It will cool quickly then.

Hey use the glass frozen pop bottle. No BPA and the concepts the same to drive the temp down quickly'- Glad we agree on the technique

Not to complicate things
You realize that the pint measure ( by 16 oz ) is really a liquid measure and that the cole slaw is measuring a volume. The conversion factor for a liquid measure of a pint is as follows 1 pint dry volume= 1.163 pints liquid measure.

Many times people who don't understand this also screw up when baking between liquid and dry measure.
Liquid and Dry Measurement Equivalents

I of course understand and agree the younger generation may not understand the vanishing pint volume measure.

As far as to tare the purchase that must be done. Our scales are modern and in supermarkets here the tare weights of different containers are already programmed into the scales. That's why sometimes the counter person cannot give you a different container. These tare weights are part of the inspection process by the county and state governments here. You should major complain if they aren't there.

Scales where I live have to be and are checked by the state every 6 months and convey inspection stickers on them,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook