SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divefreak View Post
Hi

Lifeboat/Rescueboat Design is a since of its own

I discussed the australian philosophies with Pete from mid coast marine, heŽs well known in the IRB /Surfrescue scene.

IŽll never understand why cat boats are used in the surf! Inshore, on lakes or on the baltic, yes. They make a nice an stable work platform. But on a Barr/ in the surf, no way i would go out in such a boat!

Give me a rigid hull inflatable, or a conventional deep V hull. with a self rightening Frame or pilothouse and IŽll be happy

The RNLI Boats are nice or our aluminium Boats, but they are too slow IMHO, but very very safe. On the other Hand even on our 27m ships they had deadly accidents in the north sea.
Here for coastal operations they use RIBs (more usually), proper ones not the Navy one that was involved or small self rightening rescue boats. Near the beach or in the Surf they use also helicopters and Jet skys. On that rescue, a jet sky was also there (they use them to reach the victims faster and to carry them to the bigger boats) and an helicopter.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook