SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks!
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks

Wow. Yeah, lot of things to address here. First off, I admire your determination, and I certainly have no desire to burst your bubble. But the truth is that I think your dreams need a bit of tweaking to be realistic.

For one thing, it sounds like you want to anchor outside of any nations sovereign waters and row a dinghy to shore for supplies. Sorry, but that is just not realistic. You are going to have to anchor in closer and that means that you have to check in and out with customs. Paperwork and bureaucrats to deal with.

Are you going to have an engine on this boat? If so, you are going to have to go into marinas now and then to buy fuel. And, again, that means checking in and out with customs. And if not, then you are going to have to become truly expert sailors.

The other point is that anyplace that you would want to anchor for the night is almost always going to be close to land. For the most part, you cannot just anchor out in the middle of the ocean. I've heard of a couple of atolls out in the middle of the Pacific where you can anchor, but those are thousands of miles from anyplace to re-supply.

And you definitely will have to anchor sometimes. When you are at sea, not anchored, you need to have someone keeping a watch at all times. That means 24 hour coverage between you and your wife. Whoever is on watch can catch quick cat naps, but every 10-15 minutes someone needs to be popping their head up and taking a look around. Most couples can sustain that for a few weeks during a passage, but eventually you will need to anchor so that both of you can go down for a good, long sleep.

Now, as far as going down the east coast and to the Caribbean, you need to do a google search for "thorny path" and read up about it. You will be going directly into the prevailing wind and currents most of the time, so it is not anywhere near as easy as you might imagine from just looking at a map. Especially not in a small sailboat (probably pretty easy in a 10,000 ton, 500 foot long destroyer).

On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who are living the cruising life, aboard their boats, traveling from place to place as the wind and their whims take them. This part of the dream is very realistic.

You just need to make some adjustments to some of your other expectations/hopes. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by denverd0n; 04-19-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook