SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Ever tried to slice up a ripe tomatoe with a straight knife ? Pain in the petunia unless you really know how to sharpen the knife to a razor like sharpness. Of course you would NEVER use a serrated knife for cutting meat products.
Cutting fresh bread is another thing that is tough to do with straight knives.
mebbe you dont have the good knives....i do not own a serated knife. they are germ catchers and bacteria farms and donot cut anything nicely except fingers.
my straight knives will cut tomatoes, mangos, meats, everything with a nice, true cut, not a ragged serrated cut.

but i have had practice and training from a home economics major and 4h members in my family--all gooood cooks and farmers of apples and sailors...as well as engineers and such--lots of guidance for knife sharpening. grandpoppa used to shave dry without mirror and using a straight razor--never missed---gotta have good blades for that.

there is no reason not to have good knives, and sharp, on hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook