SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toying with an idea (stern perch seats)
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Toying with an idea (stern perch seats)

Don,
That's a good point, thank you. My thinking, though, was that the seats wouldn't so much be for me, but for my kids. I have two boys, 7 and almost 5, and those would be fun places for them to sit. They would be able to see better from there, which hopefully will make sailing even more fun for them. I've heard that those seats can be some of the wettest on the boat; I think my boys might actually enjoy that!

I still need to actually get out and USE the boat before I make any changes; just kicking around ideas. I like the concept of just adding rail mounts and giving the seat proper support from below. That avoids any weight issues with the stern rail in case I or another adult want to sit up there. I had toyed with having the chair have feet, I don't know why I didn't think to just have the thing permanently mounted. I guess part of it was that, with the suspended version, you could easily lift it out of the way if you needed to get in there to work on something.

I don't think Zarcor's solution that uses the single bar will work on my boat, at least not without being intrusive. The span between the supports for the pulpit is too long, and I think the support bar would cut across the cockpit.

Another idea might be to add additional vertical supports to the stern rail. That would give me more comfort if I hang an outboard off that bracket you see in the picture, allow the weight of any person(s) in the stern seats to be further distributed, and give me at least a little more safety. Hmmm...more to think about.

Thanks again everyone!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 04-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook