SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Agreed, not all sexism is bashing. However, all gender bashing is sexism and it is rampant on her-sailnet.

I stand by the seagull analogy, because most of the bashing is done by posters that don't stick around long. I believe that is in part because most of the consistent female posters, such as DR and Denise30 don't take the bait, although, can rightly dish it out when the guys cross the line.

Personally, I reject the simplistic conclusion that women are economically disadvantaged, etc. That's just too easy to say and hard to correlate to the outcome. As I think about every person I know, both male and female, more males have a passion for the sport than female. It has nothing to do with roles or when they started sailing or money. There are all kinds in both genders, but I can count 1 passionate female sailor for 10 males. I know many other female sailors who enjoy it and prefer to take the lesser role, as they don't have any desire to become a student of the sport. No one is stopping them. My wife included. I would prefer she did, but she only wants to know enough to get by and relax.

Is there a passionate female sailor that is blocked? I'm sure there is. I'm sure there are males too. I would even stipulate that there may be more blocked females than males, but we don't know it to be true. In the end, however, I do think more males choose the sport than female and it isn't going to be gender neutral as a result.

p.s. sorry about the CT swat, it was intended to be kidding. I certainly realize by now that the smiley doesn't always communicate well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook