SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

The premise was that you could build a more efficien( better performance) keel with iron than you could with lead.

To retain the same VCG of the keel the iron keel would have to have a much bigger bulb and a lot more frontal area I also think the fin portion of the keel would have to be bigger so even more wetted surface and frontal area is added.

It does not make any sense and I don't give a rip who did the study.

Think of it this way. If an iron keel could provide "better performance? why does every serious racuing boat in the world use lead for ballast. If spent uranium not not illegal for racing keels they would use that like they did back in the earkly '70'. It's denser than lead.

Open you eyes, not another book, the answer is easy to see in any boatyard. The more dense material gives the designer more freedom of design. Bulbs are slow. They cut into the clear span on the fin and reduce apparent aspect ratio. They add wetted surface and frontal area. Bulbs work because the allow for a very low VCG. This is far easier to achive with the more dense material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook