SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hell Gate
Thread: Hell Gate
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell Gate

Hellosailor,

We will bring a few of our cruising tools (vhf, gps and flares). Eldridge is already on my desk. No trailer. We carry our boats on the roof of our old Saab. I appreciate the caution about the reliability of some sources. My dad was a proff at Columbia a long time ago and I am hoping that connection will get us consideration to park behind their fence. I will certainly check Inwood Hill Park. The UN caution is also appreciated.

I took my son to watch a shuttle launch many years ago. We carried a canoe and a 16' P-Pod on the roof of the van. It is a Kevlar pod I built light so I can roof top it. We rowed out from the causeway to an island to watch the launch. The boundaries were clearly visible and we did not intrude into restricted space. In spite of our care a large black outboard powered cat visited us at very high speed. We were the only craft in sight. The three guys on the boat explained we were O.K.. We had a Maine flag flying from the stern. They had never seen a boat rowing along the river and wanted to check it out. It was a beautiful launch. I had previously been present on the beach for Apollo 11 and on the river for 13. We will steer clear of the UN for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

I am wondering about negotiating the Hudson. It looks like ferry traffic has some fairly specific paths. On Sunday morning early I am hoping that won't be very busy. I am thinking we will stick near the eastern shore.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook