SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toying with an idea (stern perch seats)
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Toying with an idea (stern perch seats)

Jim,
I've been coveting those stern perch seats ever since I first saw them. I'm afraid of what the fabricator would charge for the rails, but it's probably a good idea to price it out. In the end, it would probably look better and be more functional than anything I can DIY. Plus, the idea of pushing them back farther, so they hang out over the transom, is a good one. That would get the seat, and the passenger in it, farther out of the way. I'll just have to make sure it doesn't hit the davvit.

Minne, your point about it being an esposed position is a very good one. That was one of the reasons I thought adding three additional, vertical supports to the rail would be good. It would help close off that space a bit, making it harder for them to fall through. I'd probably also put netting or something up there, too, for additional safety. I know not to rely on the netting, but still, it's better to have it than to not, IMHO.

Chuck, I like the hinged idea. I'll have to noodle on that some more. If I can put a hinged/folding support leg on the seat, that would allow it to flip up out of the way, thereby addressing Minne and Jim's concerns, while avoiding the cost of fabing a new rail.

In the end, I'll have to price out everything, and look at how it would work functionally, before I do anything. If the cost of doing something (properly) with the existing rail approaches the cost of just having a new rail created, then I'd probably go in that direction. I want to split the rail already, anyway, to make it easier to get on an off the boat via the stern ladder.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming! I really appreciate all the feedback.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook