SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Jeff:

I appreciate your explanation of why you put the fin forward but as I told the people who worked for me, "I don't need a long explanations of why you did something wrong." Your keel is too far forward to insure proper helm balance. Simple as that.

You need more sweep to the leading edge due to the low aspect ratio of the fin.
I'm not convuinced we even need a bulb on this fin at this point. With minimal draft a bulb will cutt into our fin span and that's not good. But if you feel we need a bulb I'm not adamantly against it either. Your call on this.

On the rudder:
I think we can retain the transom angle that Wolf has now but we will add a tapered "spine" down the center on the transom that will allow us to mount an outboard rudder on the spine with a more vertical stock. Maybe get 6 degrees or more out of the rudder rake. Do you follow me here Jeff? I can sketch it if you like. In other words the gudgeons will not be mounted on the face of the transom but mounted on the aft face of this 4" wide "spine". I'd like to get some of the rake out of the rudder. Give him half a skeg just to keep him quiet. Do not put the prop in an aperture. We want this boat to have manners in reverse.

Also, I don't think we need to bow to every wish of Wolf. I anticipate we may have to drag him kicking and screaming into some of the 21st century.

Lets massage the sections so we can get the D/L down to around 275. You ( Jeff) will probabl have to reduce deadrise amidships and go for more of a U shaped bow section. I'd maintain deadrise at the transom if only for looks.

Having fun yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook