SailNet Community - View Single Post - Eye splice in double braid
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road
Re: Eye splice in double braid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
It is not that hard. In fact, I think it is much easier than it looks. Follow the video from New England Ropes and pause at each stage. Last week I was splicing 5/16 line for lazy jacks and found that using the the next size smaller fid to pull the core through the cover made it much easier. Use the proper size fid for everything else though.

Other things I learned:
- tape the core/cover to the end of the fid before inserting in case you lose the end of the fid.
- When pulling the cover back over at the very last step, keep tension on the core so it does not bunch up. His tip of snapping the cover is great. You may have to snap it a couple of times to get it perfect.
- Use a water soluble pen if you do not want to see the pen marks on your final eye.
- Mark the core with 1, 2 and 3 lines respectively to know exactly where you are.
- Be patient. You can do it.
+1
Especially the part about pausing at each stage. Get yourself some inexpensive line to practice a few times on before you do the real one. It really isn't hard when you get the hang of it, and you will be grateful to have the skill!
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook