SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Pretty sure that's not the first goal there. We are on friendly terms with all sorts of Monarchies, Constitutional Monarchies and the sort.

Ironically, the places that I've felt the most resentment in the world are where locals are poor or repressed.

There is no reason for Cuba to be poor. The same way there was no reason for citizens of the former USSR to be poor.

Back before the fall of the USSR, my brothers took a cruise on a Russian cruise ship after graduating from high school. It was ridiculously cheap, something like $250 for a week, (which both had saved from their after school jobs) . When my brother was talking to some of the crewmembers, he found they had all been told that only the very wealthiest Americans could take such a cruise and that the vast majority of Americans lived in poverty.

One of the places they went back then on that cruise was Cuba. One brother still goes to Cuba often on humanitarian missions. The poverty of the average Cuban citizen is much worse than anything we can imagine here. But, they are starting to realize it and more and more of them realize it is simply their system of government and the selfishness of Castro and his brother that is the cause.

There is a reason people are still risking their lives to leave Cuba. And, it is not because it is such a wonderful place to live. I don't think Americans visiting Cuba and interacting with the people there, can have anything but postive results, even though it is a little unsettling that the cheap prices American enjoy there, are born on the backs of the unfortunate.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook