SailNet Community - View Single Post - Eye splice in double braid
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Eye splice in double braid

Half of the splices on my boat are for fun. I'd count ones like the eyesplice in the end of my mainsheet that way. I could even argue that a bowline is better because I can reposition it and make the line last longer.

Half are because I'm cheap on materials and like to do the end to end splice of Amsteel to double braid (so the time doesn't bother me). You get something as strong and effective as Samson Warpspeed for the price of XLS. It's great for high load low stretch lines like reefing lines, outhaul, etc. I wish I knew how to do it before buying my current (expensive) halyards.

I am happier with eye splices and a soft shackle at the end of my jib sheets than using bowlines there. The only knot is the small diamond knot in the soft shackle so my jib sheets blow across the standing rigging a lot more easily than using bowlines or even a cow hitch on the clew.

The other useful splices are the 16 brummel splices on my life lines and 2 brummel splices on my topping lift. These are places where Amsteel makes sense as a replacement for cable.