I finished the core-to-core eye. It wasn't bad, but I didn't "see" it until the very end when I buried the core(s). I was convinced that there was no way that it would bury. I could not get the cover tail to bury so I pulled it out and stitched it to the line. Photos follow.
New England Ropes has somewhat different ratios (New England Ropes - Splicing Guide
) than in the following video.
A nice video is at
To anyone who is apprehensive toward trying their own splices, they should just give it a try. There is no downside, only upside. I have never, ever had an eye even come close to letting go. It's one of those things that can be taught by reading.