SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

I have no idea if sailing is sexist, no - I really do, it is not. As all ready mentioned, people are sexist not activities. With that said my berth, in my marina, gives a excellent view of the gas dock. I have seen plenty of men guiding their boats into the dock screaming out orders and generally acting like a horse's a@s, aggressive, frustrated, demanding etc. In most of these cases the docking doesn't end well. I have yet to see a boat enter the gas dock under less than full control when skippered by a woman. Maybe it is because the male, first mate, has learned his place, not sure.
On a completely different note; I spent last summer and this spring over-hauling my boat, blisters/new barrier coat, deck-rot/re-painting etc. The local boat fibreglass repair business has a younger female on staff, who really knows her stuff. I have had the opportunity to chat her up given the amount of time she spends at the marina. I have come to look foreword to her advice from a pro to a novice, that I am. She has plenty of stories about customers who treat her like the office secretary, not the technical on-staff expert that she is. Both male and female customers hold that view point of her. Get over it already, is all I can say...

John

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook