SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Paulo:
Don't go away.
You and I have far more in common than we have in,,,,,,,,,the other place.
We did not connect very well on this subject but I know we were on the same track.
My apologies if I offended you.

I work very hard at yacht design. I have done so for the last 52 years. I stand by what I have learned. But I'm a bit rough and crude in my approach to communication. The best I can say in that area is that my dog likes me.
Thanks Bob, no offense taken, I was just disappointed because I don't think that what I was saying was different than what you were saying, just on another scale. That study also showed that the difference between the four keels in what regards performance only due to drag and lift differences were really small. That was obvious on the difference between the times of each one regarding that computerized race.

So in the end what you say is right: The possibility to lower CG is much more important than any small increases in drag, providing the keels are well designed (and the funny part is that I never meant to say otherwise).

For me the only real new was that the difference in drag loss between a fin keel non bulbed (just a foil) and a well designed bulbed keel is smaller than I thought and that in some cases that bigger drag can even be compensated by the superior lift of a bulbed keel.

These are small things but what makes yacht design advance is many times a multitude of small things that put together make a considerable difference.

You are not only a NA but a great guy.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook