SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

ok find a barrel end with over 200 ft of chain. buy it. it will b cheaper than buying from a new barrel...lol--is a trade secret,,,you do NOT want to cruise mexico with rope rode--you WILL lose boat. chafe happens fast with rocks, and so far, more than 3 boats broke loose in la cruz de huanacaxtle anchorage this year from chafed rope rode. do not use that.

if you stop in san diego, buy the chain in downwind marine--tell them i sent ye...tell chris frost hay from me. ask for the friends of downwind marine discount. it also works in sailing supply and san diego marine exchange. good folks. decent pricing.

if you do not have a windlass, you may find you do neeed one--manual is decent, but electric with remote rock.spoils ye stinkfaced....mine has n0 remote, but it will do..modifications in progress....buy used.
used anchors should be under 200 usd. you will need more than 200 ft rode total...i use 160 ft regularly due to sell and storms. wind and surf make drgging anchor a tune to sing daily in some places. more chain helps that to not happen. buy a genuine bruce anchor--get oversized--about 25 kg. approx 50 pounds. with the 5/16 chain you will be happy and sleep at night. that is important. remember we have tides and currents and winds.

speaking of wind--whenye sail south down baja peninsula, there can be some chubasco activity north of cabo san lucas--fly reefed sails from cedros to cabo--especially at at night//--chubascos like early morning hours. we got hit at 0400 with 60 kts--was awesome!! this brick flew at 8.4kts boat speed..loved it..minor damage only--wood taff broke from strain of preventing mizzen to it--now i use hawse--if that breaks i am in biiiigger trouble than i want..lol

bubba will adapt, eventually..is a 7 yr old fat boy with heart and furrrrrzz--excellent gato.

we are still anchored in zihuatenejo bay=--will be headed to barra de navidad in less than a week, spozedly--is late in season for north movement, but we gonna do it. i willmostly be anchoed exceot during the hottst months, when i will rent a slip in somewhere in golfo de california...
rent is variable, in summer some places go to 22-36 cents per foot per day--is compounded daily. makes monthly rent between 370 and 900 usd monthly, depending on season and locale. i dont know baja...i try to remain out of slips as i need repairs done and i cannot afford both rent and repairs..all is seasonal here. summer is low season, winter is high season. high season rates are absurdly high.

latitude 17 has perfect winter weather. absolutely perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 04-20-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook