SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

Heres my problem with the surveyors I've had to deal with working at the boat yard, either they need to bring their seeing eye dog with them or stop taking bribes from the seller or brocker to not list the broblems the boats have. Not just because it makes me look like the bad guy when I need to tell the new owner that its going to need more repairs then was listed meaning more money and time in the yard but it..... ok it is because it makes me look like the bad guy because I will not ignore a problem I see, and Being a grunt I'm not looking for things to make more money, these are things I would want fixed on my boat, not just things like outdated flares that may or may not be needed but and mechanical issues that will come up shortly after the boats in the water.
I think a buyer should walk thru with the surveyor, and that the surveyor should explain the what and whys. When we had a survey done on the boat I am living aboard I was so far up the surveys a$$ I knew what he had for lunch. I even pointed out what I thought were problems. A surveyor needs to educate a buyer/owner when they can,that and in the case of Medsailor ask if there are things like new flares and co2 detectors aboard. It took us 6 months after moving aboard to find some of the stuff the PO's stashed.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook