SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

sd1953 is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

MarioG, I did not have any similar kind of experience with surveyors. As I said in my earlier post, I just bought a boat and I had a pre-purchase survey performed. He made a special point of doing an inspection I specifically asked for (potential rot in the forward salon bulkhead) and reported the results to me. He also found a problem (kind of a big deal, the rudder post was deeply corroded and I had to have the rudder rebuilt) that the seller would have rathered he not find. Because I made the seller renegotiate the sales price over the rudder work. I got several recommendations for surveyors before I chose one (the boat was 700 miles from my home so I was relying on his professionalism as I did not know any surveyor in that area). I researched them on line before I chose one. I drove 700 miles to be there for the survey.
I got my monies worth. And I got my boat. And I'm using the survey to get my insurance. I saw no sign of corruption in the surveyors work or attitude. Competence and professionalism, that I did see.
A local surveyor is going to get to know the boatyards in his area, it's where he works. He is going to get to know the marina owners and dockmasters. And the local boat brokers. It does not make him corrupt or on-the-take.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook