SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

I was present during my post purchase survey. I think he did a relatively decent job.
Here's the problems I have/had:
I pointed out that I thought the galvanic isolator on my Irwin didn't look properly installed to my surveyor.
He didn't even seriously look at at it (I had to drop the panel cover to show it to him), but he commented in his report that it needed to be properly installed. Mind, he didn't KNOW it wasn't, just said it needed to be.
Now if my maxprop rots off I'll have to prove I had a qualified marine tech come in and install it.

He didn't find the air horn at the helm in the cup holder, or the flare kit (the big Orion orange one) so he dinged me on not having required safety gear.

But what really pissed me off is the 'moisture found' comments. No specific level, just moisture. He told me in a side bar conversation that moisture meters don't get real specific - they just beep more if it's a lot, less if it's a little and it depends on calibration.

He also hit me on two through hulls (engine water and sink drain) having "PVC" fittings. They are original to the boat - i.e. 26 years old. Of course they don't meet ABYC standards, there weren't any then.