SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks!
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks

We have been voyaging and not tied to a dock for anything other than fuel and water since October 2011, so we may be as close as most to being unattached to the land. At times we go 5 or 6 days without going ashore at all when anchored, perfectly happy to be "home" aboard our boat. We have no house, no car and no permanent address and Uncle Sam HATES us!
Even on a circumnavigation under sail with 31 days as our longest crossing, I could not imagine just sitting 200 miles offshore, doing nothing. With the sails down, the motion would be pretty uncomfortable and as mentioned above, even if you aren't moving YOU would need to keep a watch to insure you weren't run down.
I have taken a few swims deep sea, with the sails down, in windless conditions, and in my opinion all you are doing is stepping down on the food chain a few notches. It is pretty spooky!
You can purchase any relatively seaworthy boat, set sail for where ever, but if you plan to live aboard indefinitely, it should be comfortable! What it looks like, how many masts and what engine/equipment it has and to some degree, it's sailing ability, all pale beside buying a boat that is just plain uncomfortable to live on, if that is your attention.
It is impossible to advise you on which boat to purchase; you must get out there and sail on as many boats as you can, either as crew or by joining a club (or however) and then when you have some experience, you should be able to make an informed purchase based on what you have learned and your needs.
Good luck.