SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Rat:
Now you are scaring me. Wolf's current boat is a weird boat. It is quite narrow with an L/B near 5.00. It probably flops over and plays dead very quickly in any strong breeze unless you shorten sail quickly. But in a moderate to even a light breeze it might surprise you. This hull deserves some study.
Bob it does't flop over and play dead in heavy wind, but yes in light and moderate air she is delightfully suprising To try out my new 180% genny I sailed with it and unreefed main (over 700sqft combined) close hauled in about 20kts of wind. Being that heavily over canvased it brought the boat over to 40degrees with caprail under 3", I still made 6.5ts for 3 hours. If a big gust were to push it over to 45 degrees it would wheel up into the wind.
I had waaay too much sail up on purpose, I'd rather see what the boat could do than wait for it to show me. The only think that broke was the jib halyard which was in need of being replaced anyway.

[QUOTE=Jeff_H;1018976]The design work has been progressing nicely. Even when you start from scratch design is an iterative process with a drawing drafted, and then studied and considered, some time spent thinking about it in the 'worry chair' and then the design is tweaked. In this case we have a dillitante drafting (me) and the Maestro providing the guidance so the iterations may be fewer, than if I were doing this myself.

I think it may be helpful to see some of the interim steps of the process to see how those iterations appear.

So here is an update lines drawings:

And here is a fist look at the updated rig which is loosely modeled on a Folkboat rig, but with a taller foretriangle:

[QUOTE=Jeff_H;1018976]The design work has been progressing nicely. Even when you start from scratch design is an iterative process with a drawing drafted, and then studied and considered, some time spent thinking about it in the 'worry chair' and then the design is tweaked. In this case we have a dillitante drafting (me) and the Maestro providing the guidance so the iterations may be fewer, than if I were doing this myself.

I think it may be helpful to see some of the interim steps of the process to see how those iterations appear.

So here is an update lines drawings:

Jeff I do like the looks of that but I am concerned with the center of lateral resistance, as a cruisng sailor I would prefer a cutter rig. As far as what I have now there are three variations I have play around with 2/3fractional (by design using a "topmast stay" not only was less complex than jumper struts it also allowed a small flying jib/topsail-jib to be flown), masthead sloop (from modification that allowed head stay to be detachable at stem) or cutter (from later mod which allows head stay to be attached parelell to topmast stay) the cutter variation gives me the widest combination of sails.
I own 7 jibs from a 180% Genny to a storm jib (which doubles as a jib topsail), I don't plan on keeping them all, but will "play" with then until I decide what works best.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 04-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook