SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dousing headsails in breeze when the main is down?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Dousing headsails in breeze when the main is down?

So it seems many cruisers take down the main entirely and run twin headsails, or a headsail and an assymetric, kite, for ddw passages.

I just learned that running under a small headsail only, no main, is a storm tactic as well, apparently the boat is far more stable downwind without the main. Some good articles here on sa: Some seamanship topics for discussion - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums (also some other good safety related topics)

But I always run downwind and blanket the bow with the main when I hoist or douse any foresail, jib or especially kite, if there is any breeze (over say 7-10 knots).

How do you raise/lower headsails without the main in breeze? Let them luff in front of the forestay by releasing the sheets all the way till its up? Can't do that to take it down tho, at least not the jib... (Assuming no furler, I don't have one nor do most race boats)

If you go upwind under jib alone you can luff the main and reef/raise/lower it no prob obviously. Is this what you must do? What if ur running in big air, you may not be able to hold onto the jib upwind without just rounding up, so then what? Just try to manhandle it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook