SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Last summer I built a new boom gallows 6' x 6" x 2" Silver Bali w/teak cap, 4' long Silver Bali legs, I even had a wood carver care the new name of the boat on it, procured a 7" bronze bell to go opposite the brass Fresnel lens stern light. To make the final cut to fit it so I could through bolt it to the bulwarks I had to put it all together. After trying to hold it in place and mark all the angles my frustration level was starting build. I thenhad to get the boom gallows below decks to cut it, it was heavy and a tight fit going through and down the hatch. I got the angle on the first leg cut perfectly, the secound leg I had to do upside down. backwards, with bad light, glasses falling off, hair in my eyes, hungry, pissed off etc.....finally got the fist cut done, perfectly....but then I cut away the wrong part and I didn't notice that until I had wrestled the gallows back on deck in the wind and rain.
I did make the legs about 3" longer than the other so it is fixable....but sent my stress level through the roof.

I try and learn from other peoples mistakes, but one that I have had to learn fom my own is "when upgrading something, don't get rid of what you are getting rid of until it's replacement is ready and/or you know what you are placeing it will work (also before enbarking on a long project make sure it will actually work in the long run). I removed my old winch mounts, bought a pair of bronze Barient two speed winches and bronze double articulated block, made new winch mounts and am still trying to figure out how to make them fit.
Also replaced the vhf cable and through out the old antenna before I got a new one

Last edited by wolfenzee; 04-20-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook