SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too big for a sunfish?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Too big for a sunfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
The overhanging lip around the cockpit of the Sunfish allows you to nestle your feet there so you can hike out all the way, knowing you will not fall overboard.
Is there a hiking strap on the Phantom instead?
Yes, there is a 1.5' or 2" webbing strap down the center of the cockpit for exactly that purpose. I put my feet under it whenever I want to hike out.

I'm not looking to create a Sunfish vs. Phantom debate. There is no debate that Sunfish was vastly more popular than the Phantom. Sunfish was the first one out of the blocks, and the benchmark against which all the imitators are compared, and the boat that you must have if you want to be in the one-design racing class. Vanguard/Laser has kept the Sunfish in production, and the Phantom is still made as the Pointer 14. So they're both good boats.

Most early Sunfishes have a little more headroom under the boom. The Phantom has a little more sail area, but it comes at the expense of a lower boom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook