SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

"You clearly have NO idea what life in Cuba is about,"
Why, because I think they have softball games and weddings? You mean, Fidel lied to me, and they don't have these things?
And why do you think I don't know the value of repairing and re-using broken things? Does Cuba differ from Appalachia or anyplace else in the world that way? You don't see me buying pint bottles of brand-named waters, do you? Your assumptions are totally unfounded, and Cuba has no unique claims to poverty.
I didn't say chartering wasn't about exploring, but we both know that when you are charting, you are in the splendid isolation of the boat for perhaps ten hours every day. If you are starting a "cultural" exchange by blocking off most of your day in isolation, you're not on a cultural exchange. That's very much like the professional "continuing education" conferences that used to book holiday resorts or golf courses, where the trip was being taken as a business expense or for the ed credits, except, folks were just out to sun and play golf. Our IRS hasn't been that dumb in years, I can't see the State Department being that dumb these days either. You might get it by them, but let's be honest, that's still gaming the system.
If I wanted a cultural exchange I could go work on a kibbutz. And you could set up guest programs working in the cane fields, or on fishing boats. Chartering? Ah, no, the hours don't add up. Now, mixed racing in one-design boats and learning Cuban maritime traditions, that might be cultural exchange. Waving bah-bye and going sailing for the day?
Gonna be real inconvenient for you, if you tweak the tiger one too many times and they stop allowing you to enter US waters, isn't it? They tend to get PO'd when you play them for fools too openly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook