SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiny Dehumidifiers
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Tiny Dehumidifiers

After 3 years of reliable operation, my tiny dehumidifier stopped dehumidifying. Although the fan worked, no humidity was coming out of the air. I felt the cooling fins and they weren't cool. I felt the external power brick, and although it was powering the unit, it was barely warm - a sure sign that the Peltier device was not drawing any juice.

During the storm last night, my thermometer/humidity sensor went as high as 80% RH, which it had never done before when the dehumidifier was working properly.

I brought it home and put it on the Kill-a-Watt meter and it was only drawing 5 Watts (vs. the typical 60-70 watt draw). I opened up the box and tested the voltages at various contact points. The power supply was providing 12v to the Peltier wafer, but clearly it has stopped accepting current.

This exact model is no longer available, but I ordered a very similar replacement, since I've been happy with this method for controlling humidity in the slip. I had rigged a flexible tube to dump the humidity down the drain, and I'll do the same for the new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook