SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks!
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks

I did a quick search on YachtWorld.com for boats from 36' to 42' with a price range of $40K to $65K and came up with 247 boats on the east coast. Some would make good long term cruisers depending on their real condition (I don't trust boat ads). Expect to put a fair bit of work into any older boat.

You mentioned sailing up and down the East Coast first. As others have pointed out, staying at sea in a small boat may not be what you want to do. But if you're looking to try living off the grid for a while why not try the Bahamas?

You're close to civilization if you need it but there are places where you can be completely unplugged and remote from the rest of the world.

Best of luck pursuing your dream.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook