SailNet Community - View Single Post - My last little bit of planning
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: My last little bit of planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
thanks. It is a four stroke. I think it can push my boat at right around 5 knots, like you said.

I think when I'm motoring it will be because of lack of wind, so should be pretty good sea state.

There are a lot of currents, and sometimes I will no doubt go against them, but I am planning to use them to my advantage whenever I can.

I have a six gallon tank attached to the outboard, and I was thinking two more two gallon tanks. That's 10 gallons, so 100 miles? That should get me where I need to go. Can't be too much further than 100 miles apart.

They will have to be stowed in the cupboard in the cockpit. What's the specific name for that? Is it a locker?
The wind may very well be right on your nose a lot. I am not very familiar with the areas from Victoria to Campbell River, but north of there, IIRC, it can be pretty remote, especially that time of year. Carry as much as you can and get fuel at every opportunity. Suggest you get some good cruising guides for the area and study them well before going.

I think it is called a lazerette. If it is open to the inside of the boat be careful of the tanks venting, if so, suggest a vapor alarm.

Let us know how your trip goes, and be really carefull with the weather. Although you are not exposed to the open ocean, it can get REALLY rough. I have seen it from the air, many times.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook