SailNet Community - View Single Post - My last little bit of planning
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Re: My last little bit of planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
thanks. It is a four stroke. I think it can push my boat at right around 5 knots, like you said.

I think when I'm motoring it will be because of lack of wind, so should be pretty good sea state.

There are a lot of currents, and sometimes I will no doubt go against them, but I am planning to use them to my advantage whenever I can.

I have a six gallon tank attached to the outboard, and I was thinking two more two gallon tanks. That's 10 gallons, so 100 miles? That should get me where I need to go. Can't be too much further than 100 miles apart.

They will have to be stowed in the cupboard in the cockpit. What's the specific name for that? Is it a locker?
If you're only going as far as Desolation Sound you should be able to find fuel in a few spots. Powell River, Lund, Refuge Cove and Herriot Bay come to mind. Venturing a bit north or even around Desolation Sound and into the inlets, you will likely be doing a lot of motoring unless you have a lot (a lot) of time on your hands. As Dabnis correctly points out the wind will often be right on your nose and beating your way through this is a real slog in the narrow passages. As has been said, going anywhere north of Desolation, fuel becomes difficult to come by. The fuel you are considering is less than I would carry myself.

Other than more fuel, I would suggest you need a prawn and/or crab trap, maybe a jigging rod all of which can be collapsible and of course a fishing license.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 04-21-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook