SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013

kunkwriter is on a distinguished road
Re: US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks

Great topic. I'm a Navy vet myself and am preparing to disappear with my wife for a bit as well. Having said that, I've been sailing for 15 years now and, like much in life, the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. My advice is to get a boat, 35'ish with a full keel. Most those will have the weight and name to be a decent boat. Then, take a weekend sail, then a week sail, then longer. So on and so on. The important stuff will come to you. For internet, ham radio is as close as you'll get unless you're wealthy. You'll need to think about electricity--figure how much you'll need and whether solar will handle it, or if you need more. Good deep cycle batteries are like gold. Good book called: Sensible Cruising: the Thoreau Approach. Good book, and keeps it simple. Best of Luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook