SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: (WAS) Angry at my surveyor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Talked with my surveyor today. I thanked him for finding things that I didn't know about and I asked him about the 2 soft wood findings. I told him I couldn't find the ABYC standards for them and I would appreciate being pointed to them so I would know what standard to correct them to.

He avoided the ABYC question a few times and told me that they were both safety issues. I gave up trying to get him to admit that there wasn't really a standard. I asked if he thought the bulkhead was structural on a Formosa with it's thick glass hull and he said he did. I asked if he thought the "start of soft wood" at a non-load bearing spot on the spirit was a safety hazard and he did.

I asked him if he thought they were an imminent safety hazard or a brewing one. He said that I'd be find to sail around the San Juan islands but if I went offshore he thinks they might be a problem. (I'd have to agree with that!)

I then pointed him to the last line in his comments where he says "work needs to be done before any cruising." As soon as I read it to him he said "It's not specific enough is it?" I asked him to make it more specific. If he thinks these issues need correcting before I put the boat back in the water, please say so. If he thinks I can sail around the San Juans for a few months, please define the inshore/offshore issues. We then talked for a few minutes about which issues were real safety ones and which weren't.

He told me he'd correct the survey and get it to me in a couple hours. (pretty good service) I was hoping that he'd outline which issues in particular he wanted done now and which he wanted done later. He didn't do that. What he did do was add 2 words to the sentence about cruising. It now reads "...work needs to be done before cruising off shore."

I'm content enough with the resolution we achieved. The language is more precise where it needs to be and can't easily be read that I need to be pinned to the dock. I'm still miffed that he is saying that 2 items are out of ABYC compliance when they're not but only as a matter of principle. I wouldn't be mad if he said they represent a safety hazard in his opinion, but in principle I take issue with invoking a standard when it doesn't really apply. I'll let that go though as I don't think It'll affect the insurance issues.

So I'll submit the survey and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to take the bowsprit off at the end of the season and really "spruce" it up in the shop at home as a fall/winter project.

MedSailor
Sounds like a reasonable meeting with results which are palatable to you for the most part.

Glad you to it worked out and can continue to sail while you work on the issues

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook