SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: US Navy Veteran_New to Sailboats_Need your Honest Knowledge and Experience_Thanks

As mentioned above, an SSB will get you free communications. If you can afford it, satellite phone and internet are possible. Without some sort of destination, I would think just bobbing around 200 miles out would get pretty old after a while. Perhaps plan a never-ending circumnavigation. Destinations give purpose. There is SO much to learn about sailing, route planning, navigation, heavy weather tactics, equipment, customs/immigration in foreign countries, provisioning, maintenance and equipment, etc. There are plenty of good reading sources. I suggest taking a look at Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes to get a feel for where to be and when. More importantly, where NOT to be.

Boat suggestion: Alberg 37 (or 35 like mine) or similar older designs from the 60s. A P40 would also be a good choice. They are proven, solid boats, capable of going anywhere and can be bought at a reasonable price. Figure on spending around 30k to get one capable of going offshore (if you do the work).

Last edited by smurphny; 04-21-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: gr
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook