SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella's crew View Post
Wow Politics/emotions aside, a large reason for our boat is to see this wonderful island before capitalization. Reading others stories increases our longing. canucksailorguy we are with you.
Don't mean to discourage you in any way, Cuba is a fascinating place, and a truly wonderful cruising destination...

However, brace yourself for dealing with a level of officialdom, and restriction of your movements, that most of us are unaccustomed to. Perhaps things have lightened up somewhat in the decade since I was there, but I found it to be pretty oppressive, and tired of it quickly...

Pretty much every time you move the boat, it's likely you'll have to be dealing with the Guarda, and reams of paperwork. they simply don't understand how cruisers tend to move about, and the need for the occasional early departure, etc... I managed to find a couple of isolated/remote anchorages where I was left alone, but I was also once forced to vacate one late in the day, and move to a much less desirable spot under the watchful eye of the Guarda... In all but the most remote places, any sort of exploration by dinghy is likely to be essentially prohibited...

Again, canucksailor will know better, perhaps things have changed... But I found one of the better ways to really explore the country, was to base myself in a place like Puerto Vita for awhile, and rent a car...

One suggestion, while I happen to think of it... Once away from a marina like Marina Hemingway, you might often have to resort to jerry-jugging diesel fuel to the boat. You definitely want to have a fuel filter funnel similar to this, the quality of the fuel I once bought from a gas station in Varadero was pretty appalling ...

To give one an idea of the number of American boats visiting Cuba these days, I just came across this from Jimmy Cornell's WORLD VOYAGE PLANNER yesterday:

Quote:

The total number of boats that spend the winter in the Caribbean has remained stable in recent years, but one country that has seen a significant increase is Cuba...

According to Commodore Jose Estrich of the Hemingway YC, "what is remarkable is the year-by-year increase of vessels from the USA with a total of 135 American yachts arriving at Cuban marinas in 2010 in spite of the interdiction of sailing to Cuba still being in force".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook