SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

Jon, things haven't changed...much. The officialdom is still there, but only the initial visit is lengthy. The subsequent clearings are generally one or two Guarda who take a quick look in the boat, take your despacho (known as a zarpe in other countries), and leave you to your own. You still cannot leave your boat at anchor and dinghy about at will, at least on the north coast. Also, you can only go ashore at designated marinas - on the north coast, that's Puerto de Vita, Guillermo, Varadero, Marina Hemingway, Cayo Levisa and Cabo San Antonio - six marinas over a total of 742 miles.
Your suggestion about parking the boat at a marina and using that as a base is what I also recommend. I also suggest that cruisers bring their bikes onto a bus, travel to the cities and towns that interest them, and stay at a casa particulara (analogous to our b & bs). That way, they meet locals and get a much more intimate view of the country.
For those with security concerns, Cuba is an extremely safe country. You can wander at will, anytime of the day or night, and not be concerned.
Unlike you, I never found fuel problems, nor found anyone else with them. That problem seems to be past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook