SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-21-2013 Thread Starter
Geo56

Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice

Hi everyone! I just joined this forum and I would appreciate any advice members can give me on the best and most cost effective way to get some sailing experience.

For a little background...I live in Toronto and this Feb. I enrolled in a sailing school in Florida and enrolled in ASA courses 101, 103 & 104 an intense week. That is the extent of my sailing experience. While it has always fascinated me I never did anything about it until now. While I successfully completed the courses and my instructor said I am ready to sail I still feel overwhelmed by solo sailing - which is my goal.

None of my family or friends are into sailing and my dream is to own a boat in Florida, live on it for weeks at a time and be able to solo sail to the Caribbean! I'm 56 with grown kids and semi-retired so if I don't do it now I never will!

What is the best and most cost effective way for me to develop experience to the point where I can solo sail in the Gulf? Is there a form of sailing school that would assist me with this? I've heard of sailing clubs but because I don't live in Florida do they make sense? Would it be cheaper and better to get this experience somewhere other than Florida? Are there Captains/Skippers I can hire cheaply(!) to go out with me? If I rent a boat would the rental come with a skipper? Ultimately I'd like to buy a boat but until I get that experience and comfort level I don't even know which type of boat or features I am looking for....

Any advice, assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome