SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice

Ok, here's what I did. I wanted to sail but I did not come from a sailing family and had no access to a boat. I read a lot.

Find out the racing schedule for your area. When there is a race, big boat or one design go down to the docks and just walk up and down saying, "Anyone need crew?". Ask everyone. Someone always needs crew. I never once did not get on a boat. I did this a lot and in time if you work out they will start to ask you back for the next race and on and on. Pretty soon you will be a regular member of a racing crew.

One day the skipper will turn to you and say, "Hey Geo take the wheel while I take a leak." And then you will be at the helm and having a great time.

One day the skipper will say, "I have to get the boat up the lake for the next race. Is anyone available who can help me deliver the boat?" Then of you go on a nice overnight trip with a small crew and you can be asssurred of getting some helm time while the others drink beer.

The very best way to learn to sail is to learn how to race. Trust me. This worked for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (08-08-2013)