SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do if a shroud or stay breaks
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: What to do if a shroud or stay breaks

I had a forestay part right at the top of the deck turnbuckle. This occurred just a few seconds after the jib was furled on my 27 Catalina. The wind was woofing at about 20 at the time, and we were in a running mode with fairly heavy, following seas. The entire roller furling system fell into Chesapeake Bay, almost in slow motion and the only thing that saved it from sinking to the murky depths were the jib sheets, which had just been cleated off. The mast was saved from damage by quickly attaching the old jib halyard to a bow cleat, then winching the halyard tight with the jib winch. The main had already been lowered prior to the forestay failure.

The boat was motored 20 miles back to Perryville, MD at the head of the bay, and the following day it was motored across the bay to Tidewater Yacht Basin at Havre de Grace where repairs were quickly made. Despite some nasty bends in the aluminum sheaves of the Alado Roller Furling System, I was able to straighten them using a rubber mallet and a couple blocks of wood. Only a single sheave was damaged beyond repair, which I found amazing.

Good topic,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook