SailNet Community - View Single Post - Soliciting thoughts on a new outboard
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-22-2013
Re: Soliciting thoughts on a new outboard

Just trivia, if you decide you want an independent start battery. Last season, the start battery for our 18hp outboard on the dinghy failed and I decided to skip it to save weight. It took about a month to realize I really missed not having to climb over the installed seat to pull start.

Although, a $100+ marine start battery just seemed silly. So I went to Napa auto parts and bought a $30 lawn and garden tractor battery, which is about a third the size, and it worked like a charm all season. These little motors are no harder to start than a tractor. I charged it about three times all winter and it barely needed it. I just installed it for season 2 yesterday, so we'll see how it goes. Even if I had to toss it annually, it would weigh less and still cost the same. I bet I get another season out of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome