SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dousing headsails in breeze when the main is down?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Dousing headsails in breeze when the main is down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Do you tighten the jib sheets before blowing the halyard and pulling on the down haul? Where on the jib is the down haul attached, halfway up the luff or all the way at the head?

I feel like tightening the sheets as recommended above would recent the jib from coming down though, something about the geometry of a triangle?

Btw I switched from roller furling to hanks shortly after acquiring my boat and have never looked back...
I attach the down haul to a small brass ring I sewed just below the top hank. Not to the head. This allows me to pull down on the head. I tried running the line through the hanks but there is not enough space and it would chafe badly. I sewed rings below each hank. Half inch brass rings I purchased from Sailrite. I adjust the tension on the sheets depending on conditions and am usually controlling the halyard's release as I pull on the down haul. Both lines run to the cockpit. Having the sheet tight places everything securely on the deck.

This set up has made my single handed management of the head sails very simple, convenient and safe.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook