SailNet Community - View Single Post - A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road
A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Hello all! Posted this over on cruisersforum, and thought I might cast my net a little wider.

Looking for some advice from those wiser and more experienced than I. Finishing up a masters degree and have found life demands the freedom that comes with living aboard. In between studying economics and sailing my little puffer 12' as much as possible, most of my time is spent doing research (which can be a little overwhelming). My uncle (proud owner of a Bristol '32) got me into this thing and now it's all I want. So heres where I need some advice.

Looking for a simple, inexpensive, live-aboard, bluewater cruiser that is frequently available on the market. I am not an experienced sailor (but with time!). And just as I single-hand life, so do I need a boat that can solo. My total budget is $20k or less... so one in the 10k-15k range. While there will be no circumnavigating in the immediate future, nothing less than a solid bluewater boat that could sail about the Caribbean or hop to the Bahamas will do.

With Westsails, Morrises, and similar full-keel, double-ended beauties too expensive, the list has come down to the following. I welcome any advice; additions and rejections; and most especially tales of high-seas adventure. I am a handy individual (first career was working with electrics and carpentry), but am not looking for a major fixer-uper. Also love to cook, am 6' 3", and prefer a tiller.

So I turn to you, wise men and women that you are.

Tartan 30'
Ranger 29'
Albin Vega 27'
Pearson 30', 31'
Allied Seawind 30'
Vineyard Vixen 30'
Cape Dory 27', 28' (but in what condition?)

Last edited by dogeconomics; 04-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook