SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing painted letters
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia
Re: Removing painted letters

If your going to use a course pad to do the scrubbing/rubbing might I suggest you get your hands on a circular pad for a floor buffer. Most commercial cleaning companies use them. The pads come in many different grades from hard to soft and won't do damage to the hard surface underneath the letters (f'glass gel coat, hard clear coat ect). Imagine buffing a highly polished timber floor...no room for error there!. I sprayed fish oil on my mums car once ( door jams,hinges ect) cause she lived next to a beach. Good for stopping rust, not easy to clean off though especially when road dust adheres to it. I used a piece of buffing pad with WD40, got the stuff off quick smart (perfect for removing tar spots also). It actually did a fine job of buffing the clearcoat while I was at it! I was AMAZED!!! I wouldn't suggest you use thinners as that may eat into the coating underneath as well as lettering (I painted my car recently and thinners stripped the lettering of my number plates with 1 wipe over...oops). Trick is to test a small non obvious area first if using thinners, might need to buff & polish afterwards. Regular household scourers and scotch bright pads will also scratch the underlying coating which means more fine sanding and buffing too. Start with a light chemical, don't go straight for the thinners. Using a light chemical like WD40 means you might have to use a bit more effort and may take a bit longer whereas thinners will cut through real quick...maybe too quick. Oven cleaner is caustic/acidic, I'd be wary of it.

Last edited by djaustralia; 04-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook