SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
A few questions for CD.

Now that you are cruising with a full load, how has it affected the performance?

Have you raised your water line?

If you plan on making longer passages, Across the Pacific, how will you store the mountain of food your crew will require?

What changes would you make for further long distance voyaging?
Sorry for the late reply to these. We had company this week and they just left.

Ok, here goes:

We have been living aboard and cruising (or modififed cruising depending on your definition), for many years now. We have taken some time off here and there, but this is not our first time living aboard, or being mobile live aboards. As such, the day we bought the boat, I had them raise the waterline three inches. We have never gotten close to that waterline, and it may have been an overkill, as even fully loaded, the top of the paint is a couple inches high.

My performance loss is kind of odd since we now are aboard FT with no address or even a dock box (this means that things we might have left in storage or in a dock box or in a car, we now take with us). I would estimate we lose about a knot in 15 kts. However, we can still get to or over hull speed, but it takes more wind (maybe 20 kts). I was motor sailing Saturday, and was were running about 8 kts, with 8.3 the high. We waived at RTB (a member here) as we sailed by him and his wife. So, I can still get pretty good speeds, but it takes more 'power' from wind or motor. Another interesting change is how we motor. I assume this is because of the higher displacement, but whereas before, I could slow the boat down quickly with the motor (like coming into a slip), I have to plan ahead a lot more now. SHe doesn't stop on a dime anymore, if that makes sense?

As it stands, we have enough food for about a month on the boat. THis assumes no outside food. That is about how we stay stocked. We stay stocked that way not because we have to or spends months at far away anchorages, but because we like a variety of things to eat on the boat and a trip to the grocery store is a real PITA (we do not have a car). We try to make frequent trips to keep her stocked up because that way I can haul the canned goods in small amounts on the bike, backpack, or cart. If you wait a week+, then the amount you need to get to restock is a lot more, more weight, and probably will cost a cab.

If we are major conservative, on the hook, we can run about two weeks on water. THis is a periodic shower and conservative clothes washing and dish washing. We can all shower conservatively, every day, for a bit over a week on what we carry comfortably. SO to cross the Atlantic or Pacific, which I have no interest in at this point, we would buy a watermaker.

I think that answered all your questions?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook