SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The average couple is a cruiser so having the solar and wind generator should be enough with the large battery bank. Less hot water needed also therefore less storage. Less water needed therefore less storage.

You have to also add weight in fuel, pumps, shield etc. for the generator weight not just the generator.
Dave,

I think you will end up having a generator no matter what. I also am not sold on having a huge battery bank. The power required to refill that bank, after a few cloudy days, may be more than you can produce - especially considering you not only have to replenish but you have to make enough for that day to keep up with your daily loads.

The hot water killer is showers and washing dishes. The washing dishes is the same no matter how many are on board (pretty much anyways). The shower use is surprisingly small. I measure out how much water (total) I use when I shower. Conservative, I will use about 1.5 gallons. Really conservative I have gotten it under a gallon. There are some tricks to doing this, but unless you want a mutiny, you figure out real quick how to conserve the hot water. My point is that you will go through more hot water with 4 people versus two, but not as much as you might think.

The water is a bit of a different story. The actual cooking for two will not be that much less than with four people, but four people will drink twice as much water as two. The modern method for this is to buy a watermaker, then you don't have to worry about it much, but still an issue. THen your water supply is dependent on how much diesel you have, or how much electricity you make if you get a Spectra type watermaker.

Just some thoughts.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook