SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Dave,

I think you will end up having a generator no matter what. I also am not sold on having a huge battery bank. The power required to refill that bank, after a few cloudy days, may be more than you can produce - especially considering you not only have to replenish but you have to make enough for that day to keep up with your daily loads.

Brian
As all things in sailing in cruising generators are also a compromise. For a generator you increase substantially the weight as well as you need diesel and that diminishes your autonomy. It all depends what type of cruising you do and your life style. If you sail to faraway places or remote places you need autonomy and do not want to have your itinerary always dependent on refueling places.

I am not saying that a generator makes not sense to you but I cannot imagine having one specially now that I found out how much high performance batteries and an improved recharging system are efficient. If on a move I will have hidrogenerators that seems to be the more efficient solution. Eventually if that is not enough, wind generators and solar power.

There are many circumnavigating or cruising extensively without a generator, others don't do it without a washing machine plus the generator. What is important is that each one is satisfied with the way he is doing it, slow, fast, heavy or light has not much importance if the sailor is satisfied with his boat, his sailing, his set up and his life style and I am sure you are satisfied with yours.

regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook